Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Shits & Giggles

On Saturday morning I was faced with a critical decision...should I take something out of the freezer for dinner tonight or should I decorate a cake...


As you can see I choose the cake and my darling husband cooked dinner both Saturday AND Sunday night!!


There was no real reason to bake and decorate a cake other than I wanted to (and after Lexi's sloppy princess cake I wanted to redeem myself). So Saturday morning I set out on my mission. Baking the cakes was easy...thanks to Pillsbury ( yes, I cheated and used a cake mix...it is the weekend!) and I knew I wanted to do a purple and white cake so the hard part...decision making...was over! When I sat down to do the crumb coat (you know the first layer of icing) my hubby walked by and asked "what's that cake for?". To which I replied "Shits and giggles.". He then requested that I write that on the cake which is about the same time I reminded him how completely ridiculous he can be :)! Men, what do they know about pretty purple cakes....humph!


Decorating the cake itself went pretty well. I think I did a pretty good job getting the buttercream nice and smooth. I also think I did pretty good keeping those dots in a straight line on the top tier... I didn't mark the cake or space it or anything fancy I just sat down and started piping. It's when I went to decorate the top of the cake that I was at a loss. I didn't want to try my hand at piping flowers and I just can't warm up to the fondant and gum paste. I know, I know...gum paste and fondant flowers can be beautiful, I just can't stand the taste and I prefer cakes where all parts taste good. I did however, (in my effort to overcome my distaste for fondant) place fondant ribbons along the bottom edges of the cake, but I ended up piping almost all the way over them in order to hide a small gap between the layers caused from the cake board so I guess they really didn't need to be there...oh well, I tried! So what should I put on the top of the cake was the question of the hour. After much thought and consideration I finally decided I too can be just as ridiculous as my hubby...and I kind of like it that way :)


I'd love to hear what everyone else does for "shits and giggles", you know after the laundry's finished and the house has been cleaned (or in my case when you turn a blind eye to the laundry and the housework). Leave me a comment and maybe I'll add it to my next cake...I am always looking for inspiration :) !

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who needs comics and stand-up comedians when we have you and hubby in the family?! You two kill me!! P.S. I am still holding out hope for Lex....

Leslie said...

Oh I love the shits and giggles cake!