Saturday, February 7, 2009

M-I-C-K-E-Y * M-O-U-S-E

Come on sing along with me...anyone? Hello, anyone??? Okay maybe not. Well who doesn't love Mickey Mouse, I think everyone at some point in there life has watched the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. But as much as I do enjoy Mickey and all things Disney related ( I am from Florida!) I was a bit troubled when asked to do a Mickey Mouse themed cupcake tower. You see I'm a girly girl...pink, purple, swirly, sparkly, these are all things I am very comfortable with. I'm also not one to back down to a challenge so I gladly excepted this opportunity to step outside my comfort zone.

The soon to be cupcake tower was for a little boys 2nd birthday so I really wanted to make it special. To see a little person's eyes light up at the sight of their birthday cake is one of those moments as a parent you treasure so I truly enjoy being a part of that in my little cupcakey way. I decided early on primary colors and found some mondo sized confetti that I used to make cupcake picks. I also found a super cute Mickey candle at my local party store (I also saw it on-line). Now, up until yesterday I've never made red icing...and let me tell you it takes A LOT of food coloring to get it red. I expected this would be the case and bought a new jar of red food coloring ( I used a combination of Wilton's Christmas Red and Red (no-taste)) good thing because I used almost half the jar. It also took quit a bit of blue food coloring to achieve the shade I was after. And since I was already stepping outside the comfort zone I also decided to make a Mickey Mouse Silhouette out of red fondant to place on the front of the cake. Here are the results...I hope you enjoy them. Oh, they were vanilla cupcakes with vanilla buttercream.




Next Up: I got a request for some Valentine's cupcakes and I'm hosting a Barbie play date so I'm sure I'll have something fun to share from that!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the mickey cake made of cupcakes! I am going to make this for my sons 1st birthday and would love to know how you make the tiers and what you used...you did a great job!
CMay

Nicole said...

Anonymous -

This was a tower I did before I purchased a tower. I used 4 inch styrofoam for the different levels and coffee cans in between. I had to cut the circles from the foam myself (messy!). For the picks in the cupakes I used some giant confetti I found at the party store. The cake is buttercream and the decorations are fondant. Glad you like it! Cake Journal has a great tutorial on how to make a stand...http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/how-to-make-a-cake-stand-for-cupcakes-or-mini-cakes/

Unknown said...

What cute cupcakes! Could you tell me where you purchased your cupcake picks? I can't find any like that anywhere!

Nicole said...

I made the pickes using giant confetti. I found some here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mickey-Mouse-Clubhouse-Confetti-1_W0QQitemZ170401053991QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBirthday_Favors?hash=item27acb1bd27

Alyssa said...

I love this cake i am going to try and make this for my son's 3rd birthday, but where did you get the silver cake boreds? thank you
-alyssa

Anonymous said...

I love the Mickey cake. I'm going to attempt this for my son's 1st birthday. Can you give me some detail on the cake itself? What size cake pans, tips for working with fodant, what size cookie cutters for mickey's sillouette? You did a fabulous job!!!

Nicole said...

@ Alyssa - the silver cake boards I made using 4 inch foam I traced & cut out circles in the size I needed and then wrapped them in silver cake board paper found at Joann's.

@ Anonymous - the cake on top was a 6 inch cake (2 tiers). The Mickey I cut out using the large circle from the Wilton set of circles (3 to a pack) and the large circle I had to find something in my kitchen that was the size I wanted ( I think I used a bowl?). The fondant I purchased pre-colored (it's nearly impossible to dye it red yourself)I added some star shapped sprinkles to the sides of the cake or you can cut them out of fondant as well. I try to limit the amt. of fondant I use bc I don't care for the taste!

I'm so glad you guys found my blog and liked the cake. Sorry it took me so long to respond! :)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this cupcake cake. I am wanting do something similar for my son's 1st birthday. I went to the link for the giant confetti, but I was wondering how many individual pieces of confetti are there?

Anonymous said...

Hi Nicole, I am in love with your mickey mouse cupcakes and tower, well done, wish I could do something like that....was just wondering if you can give me you recipe for the frosting, plus how did you manage to get such nice bright colours? My food coloring does not give such nice colour

Thanks,
Tatiane - London UK

Nicole said...

@Tatiane -

I'm so glad to hear that you like the tower; it seems to be a popular theme!

For the icing, I used Wilton gel colors. I had to use A LOT in order to get the color that bright. The yellow wasn't that hard to achieve, but the red and blue took some patience :) for the blue, I think I may have even used a little bit of red to darken it up a little...but only a tiny bit or it'll turn purple :0 Since, I have started using the Americolor gel colors and they are easier to use as the come in a little squirt bottle.

Thanks for visiting my blog...it's very neglected lately. I'll have to add some new things soon!

Happy baking!
N.

Anonymous said...

I made this for my sons birthday. Very easy!! I ordered cupcakes from Publix with the same color icing. Walmart sold the Mikey Mouse picks and Publix made the smash cake for free on top. I cut out 3 different cirles of cardboard and hot glued alumiunum foil and edged it with black contruction paper. Almost looks just like the picture...

Anonymous said...

hi there your cake is brilliant i wondering if you could tell me where u got your cake picks from as iv look everywhere and can only find mickey on his own and none as good as these one thank you x

Heather Cooper said...

Can you tell me what you used to secure the Styrofoam to the coffee cans? Is this sturdy?

shannon said...

I see you're local. How much? and would you be able to do by 2.23?