Thursday, January 22, 2009

Brides, Birthdays and Barack

Brides: My friend Denise asked me to make some cupcakes for her sisters bridal shower and of course I was happy to do so. The bride-to-be requested no chocolate because she didn't want to risk having it in her teeth during the party. I couldn't help but chuckle over this one only because since becoming a mother I have had things in my teeth, hair and all over my cloths and at some point your just like "ah screw it"!! But you are only a bride once (at least we all hope) so you should have it your way! So vanilla cupcakes with vanilla buttercream it was. The wedding colors are going to be black and ivory so I used black ribbon on the cupcake tower and added some grated chocolate to the tops of the cupcakes and I think the end result was simple and classy. I do hope she enjoyed them and I wish her many happy wedding wishes!

Birthdays: The 15th was my little ones birthday...she turned 4 (wiping tear from eye). I had wanted to make her a Tinker Bell version of a princess castle cake with butterflies and flowers (per her request...at one point she wanted a Batman on top with Tinkerbell...because "they got married"????). I was planning on using the Wilton Romantic Castle Cake set as a template only with Rice Krispie treats in place of the plastic pieces. But after a day at Disney and too many jello-shots at a friend's birthday party I just didn't have it in me so I modified the plan. I had already made some fondant flowers and butterflies and had planned on painting some details on them and adding a little luster dust to make them sparkle (neither of which I have ever done but really want to!) but ended up just using them as is. I also totally cheated and used a boxed cake mix and only made one cake of each size rather than the 2 you really should make (like I said to many jello shots!) While I was not totally thrilled with the end result (it might just be cake wreck worthy...LOL) the birthday girl LOVED it and at the end of the day that's all the counts.



Barack: Well, what can I say. While I did not vote for Obama and may not vote for him should he be up for re-election in 4-years I can recognize the historical significance of his being elected and sworn in. I think what strikes me the most is the energy his campaign and inauguration has brought to this country and to the rest of the world. It is the first time in my life when I have seen such enthusiasm surrounding a presidential candidate and in the political arena in general and for positive reasons. And it's not just those that voted for him who are enthusiastic and hopeful that he will be able to bring the change that he speaks of. I watched the inauguration with my daughter the other day and she brought me her recorder (you know like a flute) and told me to play music for her every time she walked by like they were doing on TV...she then told me "I want to be the President when I grow up". I paused for a moment and then I replied "baby if that's what you want to do then you can." and when I said it I meant it and believed in it as a real possibility. As parents we try and raise our children to believe that they can do whatever they set their minds to but often in the back of our minds we think or know that the chances of these things happening are limited but now it seems the tables are turning and doing what you want is a real possibility for all people. Now who among us can deny the excitement in that!

No comments: