Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The loss of a mentor

Minnafay Reynolds, my grandmother, passed this morning. As a little girl I spent several summers with her standing on a chair in the kitchen learning to make cookies. She instilled in me a love of baking and the memories I have of our time spent together in the kitchen will be treasured. Of the many things she shared with me one of my favorites is her recipe for a happy home. Shortly after I was married she shared this with me and I have had it hanging in my kitchen since. It served her well, as it has me and I hope that in my sharing it you too will find it of use in your own homes...

Faye Reynold's Recipe for a Happy Home

1 Husband
1 Wife
Children
1 Bible for each child
1 Home
Generous portions of prayer
3 Cups love firmly packed
1 package work
1 package playing together
1 Portion patience
1 Portion understanding
1 Portion forgiveness
1 Cup kisses
1 Small paddle

Mix together thoroughly and sprinkle with awareness. Bake in a moderate oven of everyday life, using as fuel all the grudges and past unpleasantness. Cool, turn the platter of cheerfulness. Garnish with tears and laughter in large helpings. Serve God, Country and Community.

Faye will be greatly missed by all those who knew her...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicole, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. I love her recipe of a happy home and it really couldn't be said any better. Take care and cherish all of the happy memories that you have.

Michele (D)

Erika said...

Aw sweetie - I am so sorry. My prayers will be with you. BIG hugs.

Anonymous said...

Oh Sweetie. I am so sorry. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to ease your pain during this difficult time for you and your family. (((HUGS)))

P.S. Thanks for shring her recipe with us. xox