Friday, September 5, 2008

Rock My World Rocky Road Cookies

The last time I made cookies the hubby made a request for the next batch. He is lactose intolerant and can't enjoy ice cream so he asked for a rocky road cookie! I've made rocky road cupcakes but never cookies and I thought it would be easy enough so I made him some as a thank you for all his hard work tearing apart the kitchen to give me my beloved shelf. I started with my chocolate chip cookie recipe and then decided to substitute roasted and salted almonds for the walnuts. I cut back on the amount of chocolate chips and then added marshmallows. I was a little afraid that the marshmallows would just melt causing the cookies to spread into one big mess on the pan. To try and avoid this I cut the marshmallows into little chip sized pieces. The result was wonderful. The marshmallows didn't melt causing a big mess, they actually held their shape. They were roasted on the outside but maintained the soft, chewy goodness on the inside that makes smores so delicious. Both hubby and I agreed that they needed more almonds. When you'd get a bite with all three (chocolate, marshmallow and almond) it was like heaven but without that added crunch from the almond something was missing so next time I will add another 1/2 cups almonds.

Recipe:

2 1/4 cups flour

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. baking soda

3/4 cups sugar

3/4 cups brown sugar (50 % dark, 50% light)

1 tsp. vanilla

2 eggs at room temp.

2 sticks unsalted butter at room temp.

1 cup roasted and salted almonds (chopped)

1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

1 cup cut up marshmallow pieces

Mix dry ingredients in bowl and set aside. Cream butter and sugar until well incorporated but don't cream as much as you would for a cake or your cookies will flatten to much. Add vanilla and eggs one at a time, mixing well after each egg and scraping down sides of bowl if necessary. Add dry ingredients a little at a time mixing just until incorporated. Add chocolate chips, almonds and marshmallows and mix to combine.

Using a small cookie scoop drop dough onto cookie sheets. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 9-11 minutes until just starting to brown. Marshmallows on top will look roasted. Cool on wire rack or newspaper. Store in air-tight container in the fridge.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am placing an order of these cookies for our Mommy Getaway next weekend. Yes, that's right. I am requesting tiramisu cupcakes AND rocky road cookies. So, get busy woman!

Erika said...

Those sound OH SO YUMMY!!!!
BTW - Denise sure does have A LOT of demands!

Tami said...

Those look really yummy!

Nicole said...

Thanks Ladies!