Saturday, July 25, 2009

Now that's nice

Have you ever seen that bumper sticker that says " Mean people suck"? I feel there should be a counterpart sticker that says "Nice people rock"! It seems we're always so focused on the negative in the world...which celebrity is headed for rehab, how bad is the economy today, that jerk just cut me off, etc., etc., etc. I'm a believer that negativity breeds negativity, you get back from the universe what you put out there. That being said I wanted to share a little bit of nice with you, maybe it will make you smile and in turn you will be nice to someone else. Lord knows the world could use a little bit of nice right about now!

Okay so first, about a month or so ago my Aunt Becky surprised me with a little package. She sent me some cookie cutters and silicone cakelett pans. There was no reason to send them other then she saw them, thought of me and bought them for me...how nice right! As a way to say thank you I decided I wanted to do more then the traditional card, so I made her some sugar cookies with one of the cutters she sent.


I can't decide if I think they look more like sunflowers,

or
Black Eyed Susans.

What do you think?


I hope that they reached her in good condition and brought a smile to her face!


Okay, next nice thing: last weekend I received a totally random email from a gentleman in CA who had seen the Mickey Mouse cupcake tower I made. He one, described it as a "masterpiece" and two, wanted to know how much I would charge for something similar if not the exact same thing. How flattering is that!!? I unfortunately, had to tell him I don't ship; but I was sure to tell him Thank you. I told him "baking is my passion and it brings me great joy to know that what I do makes other people happy." and that's the truth!


And last but not least my hubby asked me this week to makes some cupcakes for the ladies in his office. Things have been pretty hectic there lately and he thought it would be a good way to end the week. Nice right? He left the "what to make" decision up to me, and an easy decision it was. I decided to make my version of a Rocky Road cupcake. I call it "Malfunction Junction". Those of you from Tampa know exactly what Malfunction Junction is, for the rest of you...let's just say it's a section of I-275 that sucks beyond suckage. They just seemed appropriate for the occasion...the perfect way to end a rocky week!! For my Malfunction-Junction I start with a devil's food cupcake, I ice it with a marshmallow buttercream and then top it with toasted walnuts, coconut and a drizzle of chocolate. For the ladies I made them pink...and I just love them!

Pretty little things aren't they?

Marshmallow Buttercream

1 stick unsalted butter - room temp

1 cup marshmallow fluff

1 cup powdered sugar

4-6 tbsp. heavy whipping cream ( you could use milk, I happened to have cream so I used it)

Beat all ingredients until light and fluffy. Add as much cream as you need to reach the consistency you would like.

Go play nice.

xoxo

N.

4 comments:

Snooky doodle said...

Wow the cookies look nice! I bet your aunt was thrilled with the surprise. I have to say though that I m drooling looking at those cupcakes. Nice way of cheering up the ladies :)

Anonymous said...

Have to say that even after the week I have had, all I have to do is read your blogs to bring a smile to my face! You truly are inspirational...makes me wonder if you were adopted or something ;-)!
Keep up the good work Nic ~ I am so proud of you!

Jen Stillman said...

Have to say that even after the week I have had, all I have to do is read your blogs to bring a smile to my face! You truly are inspirational...makes me wonder if you were adopted or something ;-)!
Keep up the good work Nic ~ I am so proud of you!

Jelli said...

I have the similar cutters, and could never come up with what to use them for besides "suns". This is much better! What did you use for the brown centers? Is this grated chocolate?