Thursday, April 23, 2009

ICE: April - They Give You Wings

I wasn't going to compete in this months ICE challenge (which is soda-pop) for a number of reasons, one being that I just couldn't come up with a recipe idea that included soda (or Pop for those of you in the mid-west) and still sounded appealing. But all of a sudden this afternoon it came to me...here's the scoop.
After a busy morning of errands I was tired and I still had several household chores to do and was majorly lacking in motivation. You see I finally decided to jump on the Twilight bandwagon (after weeks of listening to my MOTG friends swoon over it) and while at Sam's club picked up a copy of the 1st book. So I was anxious to dive into it, but the laundry was spilling over and my floors HAD to be cleaned so I did what I always do when I need a little pick-me-up...I had a Red Bull. I figured it would give me the energy I needed to do my chores plus I'd be able to stay up past my usually bed-time of 9:30 PM to do a little reading. It was when I went to the fridge to get it that the idea hit me...MAKE RED BULL CUPCAKES!!! That way I will be able to enter the April ICE challenge, snack AND stay awake late at night to read Twilight (which I have heard happens frequently, I've heard stories of reading at red-lights, waking up in the middle of the night to read just one more chapter, etc. etc. etc.).
So I sucked my Red Bull down and proceeded to buzz around the house in a fashion that would have made the Tasmanian Devil proud; I mopped, windexed, dusted, vacuumed and laundered. Choring done I tackled my next task...the cupcakes. I went with my favorite, devil's food, for a few reasons. 1) it's my favorite and 2) I already had some baked (after all I'm gonna need all the time I can get for reading). I started by brushing the cupcakes with a little Red Bull.


I made some buttercream icing substituting Red-Bull for the milk. I choose to make the icing blue so it would match the can.

I was going to top the cupcakes with some wings made from red candy melts but when I entered "wings" into the search field in clip art the cutest freaking picture of a little vampire bat came up. I was going to trace the wings with the candy melts but after I found the little vampire I choose to make some super cute picks instead. I must say the results are better than I expected...I thought the icing would be way to sweet but it's actually rather nice and the Red Bull flavor is nice...you can definitely tell it's there...which I imagine will come in handy these next few days.

So without further adieu I present to you what I have dubbed the "They have wings" cupcakes. I hope you enjoy them.




Now, if you'll please excuse me I have some reading to do :)

Voting will begin no later than Wednesday, April 29 at 8 p.m. at No One Puts Cupcake in a Corner

Our April ETSY PRIZE-PACK is from artists:
A creation by FRUITFLYPIE
a pair of cupcake earrings from LOTS OF SPRINKLES
a sweet surprise from Sweet Cuppin' Cakes Cupcakery
PLUS, IronCupcake:Earth can not forget our good friend, CAKESPY, who is now going to be doing a piece for our winner each month until further notice - sweet!


Last and certainly not least, don’t forget our corporate prize providers:


HEAD CHEFS by FIESTA PRODUCTS

HELLO CUPCAKE by Karen Tack and Alan Richardson

JESSIE STEELE APRONS

TASTE OF HOME books

a t-shirt from UPWITHCUPCAKES.COM.

Iron Cupcake:Earth is sponsored in part by 1-800-Flowers, http://www.1800flowers.com/

Red Bull Buttercream

2 sticks butter - room temp.

1/2 cup Red Bull ( I used sugar free)

8 cups powdered sugar

pinch of salt

Cream indredients until smooth and creamy. Ice as desired

Devil's Food Cupcakes

6 comments:

apparentlyjessy said...

These are pretty cute! I love how the colour of the blue offsets the darkness of the cake and the bat!
I loved reading the Twilight series too, and I'll even admit I cried when I finished it cause there was no more! Its pretty addictive :)

Unknown said...

I LOVE IT!! I've never tasted Red Bull but I'd eat one of those cupcakes in a heartbeat.

Run DMT said...

That is hysterical! You are too much! Red Bull...It gives your wings! You should win for just the sheer creativity factor! You get my vote!

Snooky doodle said...

ha nice cupcake. great entry . i love how you decorated them :)

Amanda said...

I so voted for you and had to come here to see how to make them. I'm basically obsessed with Red Bull because of my favorite F1 driver is one of their drivers and so when I saw these I just about screamed in joy. I had actually considered it, but thought it would be silly...but now I know I'm not alone!

Mermaid Sews said...

I had to vote for you, addicted to redbull, MUST make these, I do have a case of redbul lying around!