Monday, April 6, 2009

Why Cupcakes??

My love of baking was instilled in me as a young child...let's just say I was licking batter off beaters when I was still in Pampers. And while I have always loved cupcakes I didn't become so obsessed with them until 2003.

It was in 2003 that I was married to my husband. During the wedding planning there were very few details that he was allowed to...oops I mean interested in helping with, but when it came to the cake he specifically requested cupcakes. At the time cupcakes were not all the rage they are today so when I went about looking for a photo to give the baker I found very few that captured what I was after. Until of course, the one and only Martha Stewart put this picture on the cover of her magazine.


It's beautiful isn't it. Simple, elegant, classy, cupcakes....perfect. So with magazine in hand I went to meet with the wedding planner. I gave them the photo and the following instructions..."I would like cupcakes like this only without the fondant monogrammed hearts. I would like chocolate cupcakes, with white frosting and silver sprinkle thingies (I'm sure I said thingies as I had no idea what a dragee was at the time)" I also asked for a small cutting cake for "ceremonious purposes but nothing fancy...simple and pretty"...like me :) Now one would think that with the above picture as a sample along with my request there would be little to worry about right? WRONG...oh, was I so very wrong. This my friends is what I got.

I know {{{{{{{{{{{GASP}}}}}}}}} But wait...here it is in color

Are you kidding me...really? I did give you the cover of Martha Stewart as a reference right? It's pretty pathetic isn't it? I mean the frosting isn't even piped on, and the cutting cake...when I said cutting I meant I wanted to cut the cake not take a bite of it and cut the inside of my mouth! I shit you not they used a strand of fake plastic pearls around the top edge of the cake (again piping obviously was not in their skill set) and then fake flowers, not sugar flowers, fake plastic flowers that they secured to the cake with STRAIGHT PINS. So here is me and my hubby trying to cut the cake...except as were cutting, the strand of pearls is pulling across the cake and pulling all the flowers with it. At this point I'm over the whole "ceremony" bullshit and I just want to get back to the party, so I scoop the whole damn slice right up onto the cake slicer and go in for a bite.

Just call me Grace...could I have opened my mouth any bigger???????? Anyway, notice said strand of fake pearls dangling from cake. Now here is the next picture...

Not a very good picture, but that's me pulling a pin out of my mouth and looking at it like "WTF is a pin doing in my cake?". Now I don't know about y'all but I don't think you should put pins in a cake unless your intention is to cause bodily harm or your performing some sort of cake voodoo. On top of the shear ugliness of the whole mess, AND the pin situation it wasn't even good cake. It was dry and bland and I don't even remember the icing. Needless to say it was a cupcastrophe!

My marriage on the other hand has been bliss. Early, in our almost 6 years of wedded bliss, I began making cupcakes regularly for my husband and experimenting with different recipes and flavors, expanding on the knowledge that had already been passed to me from my grandma's during countless summer vacations and Christmas holiday's. Baking is a part of family tradition for me. I love everything about it. Making it, eating it, the way it smells when it's baking. It's like therapy...it makes me feel good. So that's "why cupcakes?" because they're good and they make me feel good :)

4 comments:

JenStillman said...

Ahhhhhh...thanks for the memory resurrection! I had forgotten all about the pin and pearl episode until that pic of your mouth hanging wide open! And as far as the 'Why Cupcakes'.....Thanks, Paul Harvey, for now I know...The Rest of the Story!!

Snooky doodle said...

Ha you really made me laugh with your wedding catastrophe. Well if I were you I would have surely started crying. I m sorry the wedding planner didn t know what nice cupcakes and a decent cake is. Anyways atleast your usband is now eating yummy cupcakes :)

Run DMT said...

I've heard you tell this story many times, but the visuals combined with your wonderful writing skills takes the cake!

I hope that bakery is out of business. Lord knows, they probably got sued when one of the customers swallowed a pin and had to close shop.

Sihan said...

just hilarious. And i totally love the shot with you and the pearls dangling down.. you're a naturale girl!