Monday, February 16, 2009

Cake is Love and Simple is Sweet


One of the guests from my mom's progressive dinner called me and asked for 3 dozen mini cupcakes for his wife for Valentine's day. Apparently, she loved the cupcakes from the party and had been asking about them. I was rather flattered by this and thrilled to get to make valentine cupcakes for them. After all cupcakes are a way better gift than a lame box of chocolates!

I made butter cake and devil's food cake with raspberry buttercream and butter cake with lemon buttercream. The pink color of the raspberry buttercream is beautiful and perfect for the occasion. It is super yummy and pairs very well with the lemon buttercream which is also delish!


Devil's Food with Raspberry Buttercream

you know you want to lick your screen!



My plans of an easy 10 AM delivery were foiled when last night I realized the cake box I had was too big and looked ridiculous so I had to run to JoAnn's this morning, which wouldn't have been that big of a deal if they really opened at 8:00 am like the web-site says. Anywho, love was in the air and I was not going to be discouraged so I went to Super-Wal Mart (which is surprisingly peaceful at 8 in the morning). While they didn't have the cake box I needed I was able to get ink for the printer and a valentine's balloon for Lexi which she loved. After another stop at Joann's I got the box I needed and managed to deliver the cupcakes on time! I hope she enjoyed them as much the 2nd time around.

Vanilla Cake with Lemon Buttercream
It's melt in your mouth good!


My day was made even sweeter when I arrived home and was surprised to find that my dear sweet husband had vacuumed, folded laundry, made the bed in the guest room, and loaded and started the dishwasher. I know, BEST Valentine's day present ever (you see I'm a simple girl no jewelry or flowers necessary just clean the house and I'm putty in your hands)! Since I didn't have a house to clean and I had quite a bit of left-over cupcakes I decided to finish icing those. In addition to the loads of cupcakes I had I also made one 6 inch cake of each flavor and layered them to make a chocolate-vanilla layer cake that I iced with a classic vanilla buttercream (pink of course) and decorated with mini chocolate chips. The only problem now is deciding which to eat first...


I hope you all had a sweet Valentine's day!


UP NEXT: I've joined Iron Cupcake Earth (see the logo on the side) and the flavor of the month is coffee. I'm so excited and already have a ton of ideas. I'll be posting on that by the 24th so come back and see me.

~Nicole~


















3 comments:

Unknown said...

Coffee in my mouth. Please. Kelly K

Snooky doodle said...

gorgeous cake!

Unknown said...

Just found your cute website! Looks so yummy! Any chance you'll share your raspberry buttercream recipe? It sounds so good!